I’m an Associate Professor in the Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione e Bioingegneria of Politecnico di Milano. From April 1996 to June 1999 I have been researcher at CEFRIEL, leading the software engineering area. From April 1998 to September 1998 I have been visiting professor at University of California, Irvine (USA). My expertise lies in the area of software engineering and, in particular, of large-scale, open, service-oriented systems with a special attention to the techniques to make these systems self-adaptable to the changes in the environment and in the performances of its distributed components, and to enable them to identify and incorporate new components at runtime. Recently, I have been focusing on Cloud Computing and, in particular, on how to design applications that can run on multiple clouds in order to limit vendor lock-in and to increase availability and reliability of such applications.
- Software Engineering 2 (graduate course)
- Software Engineering 1 for the online degree (undergraduate course)
- Foundations of computer science (undergraduate course of the Mechanical and Energetic Engineering curricula).
Member of International Boards
- IFIP working group on Services-oriented Systems (WG 2.14/6.12/8.10)
- QE LaB Advisory Board
Evaluator for EU FP7 programme, the Executive Board of the Austrian Science Fund, the French CHIST-ERA programme, the WWTF Information and Communication Technology Call 2010.
Member of Editorial Boards
- IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering,
- SOCA journal.
- Journal of Software: Evolution and Process.
- general chair of ESEC-FSE 2015
- program co-chair of ASE 2010
- program co-chair of ServiceWave 2010
- workshops co-chair of ICSE 2010
- workshops co-chair of ICSOC 2006
- demo track chair of ICSE 2007
- tutorial chair of ASE 2014
- program committee of various international conferences such as ICSE (including ICSE 2015), ASE, FSE, ESEC-FSE, ICSOC, ICAC, ServiceWave, SEKE, DEXA.
Keynote Speaker at International Conferences
- 2010 International Conference on Global Software Engineering
- 2011 Third International Workshop on Principles of Engineering Service-Oriented Systems
Participation in funded projects
- Coordinator of the FP7 Integrated Project MODAClouds (n. 318484), period 2012-2015, overall budget 8.5 Ml Euro.
- Project scientific director of the Integrated Project SeCSE, period 2004-2008, budget for CEFRIEL 1.7 Ml Euro.
- Principal Investigator for Polimi of the STREP SeaClouds, period 2013-2015, budget for Polimi 440 K Euro.
- Co-proponent of the PoliCloud-Cloud and Things research laboratory.
- Principal Investigator for Polimi of the FET CASCADAS, period 2006-2009, budget for Polimi 225 K Euro.
- Workpackage leader in the S-Cube (Software Services and Systems) Network of Excellence, period 2008-2011 (379 K Euro).
- Supporting the coordination of ART DECO (Adaptive InfRasTuctures for DECentralized Organizations), Italian Ministry for University and Research, period 2006-2009 (653.8 K Euro).
- Participant in the projects SMScom, SLA@SOI, SOA4All, D-ASAP.
- Luca Cavallaro (2007-2010)
- Daniel J. Dubois (2008-2010)
- Nicola Calcavecchia (2010-2012)
- Santo Lombardo since beginning of 2012
- Marco Miglierina since beginning of 2013
- Luca Florio since October 2013
Participation to PhD committees
- Jon Arvid Børretzen, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, defense 2007
- Qin Gu, VU University Amsterdam, defense 2011
- Grégory Nain, Irisa University, Renne, defense 2011
- Issac Garcia, University of Grenoble, defense 2012
- Aneta Vulgarakis, Mälardalen University, defense 2012
- Maryam Razavian, VU University Amsterdam, defense 2013
- Paul Snyder, Drexel University, Philadelphia, defense 2013
- Damian Andrew Tamburri, VU University Amsterdam, defense planned for spring 2014
Grants and awards
- Amazon AWS research grant in 2010 and 2012.
- Microsoft Azure research grant in 2013.
- In the journal Information and Software Technology, vol 50, 2008 the paper coauthored by Cugola, Fuggetta and myself and published on IEEE Transaction on Software Engineering, 27 (9) 2001, pp 827-850 was listed as the second most cited paper of that year.